Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2018

2017 ROUND UP: ALBUMS!

2017 has been a wild year, and pretty much everything sucks for everybody in this earth. In terms of music, last year we have seen some very interesting rise up, experiment and a surprising come back from latin music community started by Despacito (even if I'm not very fond of it). Even though I know it was very late post here being a third month (!) in 2018, let's just say I still have something to say about some of crafts these people on this list have been put out.


Paramore - After Laughter

Source: Wikipedia


An unexpected comeback from my beloved trio. Despite the turn of music style, Paramore still managed to make this album theirs as much as their past albums had been before. After trying hard to prove that they are/were still a band in the grandiose Self-Titled album back then in 2013, it feels like Hayley and co. were much more in tune with who they are right now and it shows in the music it self.  A very relatable and underrated work of art in my opinion. 

Oh, and welcome back Zac!

Stand out: Told You So, Hard Times, Idle Worship, Pool, Rose-Colored Boy



JOME - Tunnels
Source: soundcloud.com/jomemusic/sets/tunnels

My first encounter with JOME was trough 'Cinnamon,' which even after the album released still hold the #1 spot for their best song in my list. JOME whole vibe is everything you want to hear after a long, exhausting day or a nervous breakdown and an episode of depression. While most of the lyric tell us about heartbreak and what-not (at least from what I can make out), the vibe the album gave is very chill, breezy, soothing... like I said, everything you want to hear after a long, exhausting day.

Stand out: Cinnamon, Once Red, Hollow, Snow, Thread, Vapor




AGNEZ MO - X

Source: Wikipedia

First of all, I couldn't express my self better than saying I'm very proud of this girl. Forget about her crazy-ass-but-very-dedicated fan base, this girl keep realizing her dream AND delivering at the same time.

Now that got out of the way, it was literally a surprise to see her releasing the myth of international debut album after four (!!!!) years of Coke Bottle had been released. 'X' is a urban/R&B/pop album that has many offering each tracks, you will not hear the same track over and over again. 'Long As I Get Paid is/was the perfect lead single to the album, and would have been the perfect introduction to the international market. The visual is very beautiful and the song is edgy yet catchy enough - which is what Coke Bottle lacked of - without trying too hard and managed to be a fun song.

This is a very promising album and could be the catapult Agnez need to put her out there, IF she and her management start actually promoting themselves rather than let her fan do all the work. Basically stop being a mess, management!

Stand out: Long as I Get Paid, Damn I Love You, Wanna Be Loved, Karma, Sorry



Lorde - Melodrama
Source: Wikipedia

I have never be a true fan of Lorde's music, yet when 'Green Light' first unveiled, I voluntarily gave my fan card for her. What I always looking for in an album is not only a group of good, catchy songs but a story, a thematic delivering that I will be engross and blown away at the end, much like a book or a movie - and boy did she delivered. We can clearly tell what is/was Lorde tried to tell within this album. I don't really fond of 'Liability' at first, but when I heard the full album, considered me sold.

The fact that this record lost to Bruno Mars in Grammys Award is something I still couldn't fathom. The most favorable rating for an album in 2017 and got paid dust???? Unbelievable.

Stand out: Green Light, The Louvre, Supercut, Liability.



Fifth Harmony - Fifth harmony

I never thought I will like Fifth Harmony this much. But I did.

When the members said they will make a great album, they really delivered. I would say this album should have been appreciated more since we can see their growth as artists and they clearly know what their sound should have sounded like. I don't even care what you say about them and how much they flop and that one girl got lucky getting away before their fall etc., 'He Like That' is that BOP. It's a shame they decided to put 'Down' as it lead single. 

A truly underappreciated release. They deserve better etc. etc.

Stand out: He Like That, Don't Say You Love Me, Angel




***

Honorable mention:

Superfruit - Future Friends


A solid pop album full of certified bops.


Kesha - Rainbow


Despite the empowering ballad 'Praying' as the lead single, this album surprisingly still gave us the 'party hard' Kesha but in rock n' roll style.


Wild Cub - Closer


Delving more into rock/alternative sound, this album still capture the dramatically fun song like 'Thunder Clatter'.


Andrew Belle - Dive Deep



HURTS - Desire



Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life



Ps: I am sooo excited for what 2018 have in store next!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Play the Book
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com