Pages

Friday, July 31, 2020

BLACK IS KING (2020) IMPRESSION

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter or Beyoncé finally released her much-anticipated new visual album, “Black is King,” today, streaming exclusively on Disney Plus! Black is King is the retelling of Disney’s The Lion King (2019) written, executive produced and directed by Beyoncé based on The Lion King: The Gift, a soundtrack curated also by Beyoncé for the movie which released in 2019. 


Black is King (2020) Official Poster


A young African king is cast out from his family into an unforgiving world. He subsequently undergoes a journey "through betrayal, love and self-identity" to reclaim his throne, utilizing the guidance of his ancestors and childhood love. The story is told through the voices of present-day Black people.



It would be hard to top Lemonade, Beyoncé’s sixth studio/visual album, with another project. Not to mention that, despite its greatness, The Gift failed to charts as well as her other albums, thus making them dubbed it as a Beyoncé’s “side project.” But being Beyoncé, she literally turns The Gift into her biggest project ever.


While I did listen to the album prior to its initial release, I only listened to it once and had not listen to it again after the announcement of Black is King. I still don’t know why I slept on it for such a long time, but my guess is because I for the most part couldn’t relate to the album since it was intended to be (1) The Lion King soundtrack, (2) a gift for Africa and/or Black people and (3) the way it was sonically something out of my comfort zone, thus making me failed to appreciate it as its own. 


The same case happened to Black Parade. At a time, I just felt an appreciation to Beyoncé to release something as bold as it in maybe one of the most racially divided moment in The US history, seeing as it was released in celebration of Juneteenth commemorating the end of slavery in the United States. By this time I should have known that Beyoncé has always have a plan and never did something out of whim: turned out Back Parade was a lead single/promo for Black is King (and later added to the album on its Deluxe Version).




Boy was I wrong. I have not stopped playing both The Gift and Black Parade for a week now. I even make a mash up between all the Black Parade versions to mimic the one she put in the trailer lmao. I will attached it later on the end of this post.


"My hope for this film is that it shifts the global perception of the word "Black," which has always meant inspiration and love and strength and beauty to me.

Black Is King means Black is regal and rich in history. In purpose. And in lineage. I hope y'all love it."




Beyoncé wanted this film to inspired the youngsters, especially young Black people, to be proud of their heritages and cultures. She included soooo many easter eggs on what appears to be African cultures I can’t keep up and it keeps popping up on twitter. She also succeeded to created the story universally accepted, so that the non-Black people whom sees it can appreciates all the visuals, fashions and dances she has brought to the scenes.


It’s not a Beyoncé™️ project if the visuals are not stunning. Everything was something out of this world (there is literally a scene on outer space lmao). I’m so happy that she, once again, succeed on uplifting Africa and the people on the cast in a way that it was breathtaking, beautiful and belong, something we haven’t really seen much in today’s media. You can clearly see the hard work of all the people involved and how proud Beyoncé is of her Blackness. It’s a sight to see after all the slander of hers being too white for Black people.


beyonce.com


One of the highlights from this film for me was Blue Ivy’s cameo. I can’t believe how she has grown so much! I did not expect her to be put on to work that much on this movie lol and she ATE every scene she was in on! She is literally a star in the making. Love her. 


beyonce.com



Brown Skin Girl also were my favorites moment on this film. You can see the beauty of the dark-skinned women being portrayed in the film. Imagine my surprise when I see dark-skinned Indian woman and a hijab-wearing woman appeared on my TV screen. The Kelly Rowland / Beyoncé’s sister ship moment was also so heartwarming, like, truly I got chills during this part you all. Somebody on Disney+ or Parkwood needs to put this video on YouTube, ‘cause the world needs to see it.


beyonce.com



But if I have to pick my most favorite part on the movie.. it would be, hands down, The Otherside. It was such a beautiful moment in the story and how Beyoncé’s caring on her child even when the world’s around her is falling apart. I can see its parallel to the hardship being a mother. Simply the powerful moment on the movie.




My only “complain” I have with Black Is King will have to be on how this is a classic Beyoncé kind of retelling story: it was full of narrations, poetry and of course The Lion King interludes to tied in both films. It doesn’t mean it was bad, but I aways like a story with a main character and some dialogues. I guess Lemonade is the perfect sample how it is still full of narration but Beyoncé is still right on the center of the story, meaning she IS the character. While in Black is King, I don’t really know who are the main character. Arguably, the young boy (or later man) who I believe is portraying Simba, IS the main character, I couldn’t really see his connection to the songs presented because, of course, Beyoncé stole all the spotlights every time she appeared on screen. 




One thing for sure though, this is NOT a movie meant to be played just once. You will have to play it again and again to appreciates the story, the visuals and the research Beyoncé and her team have done to perfecting this one. I can’t wait to read all the “think-piece” and in-depth review for this film.


It’s still beyond me how this is only a side project, imagine what will her seventh album and its visual going to be.



All in all I enjoyed it a lot! A visually stunning and breathtaking film about loss, love and pride accompanied with a great music from the underrated The Lion King: The Gift. I still can’t fathom how people will try to discredit her to the hell and back, when all she does (especially with this movie) is uplifting the image of Black people and trying to show the world that Black equals to beauty too, not only the whites who can do it. Watch ‘em drag her even worse if Beyoncé create a visual much more realistic lmao.


Beyoncé truly is one of a kind and the best on her own lane. She will not need to catch up to anything anymore because she IS already at the top well beyond anybody else. She has created her on path with no one able to catch up, she is a beast and everybody needs to respect that. Regardless on who you fave is, Beyoncé is THE industry. 

 

I’m excited to see how she would best herself on her next project.


By the way, stream Already off of The Lion King: The Gift by Beyoncé, Shatta Wale and Major Lazer down below.




***



Ps: by the way, here’s as promised lmao Black Parade Teaser Version by Beyoncé 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Play the Book
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com